Thanks to stunning video tours, the HGTV Dream Homes have inspired buyers to look for the latest in home design. Each year’s Dream Home showcases innovation in concept, layout, building materials and design. The HGTV selection with inspire you with dream home ideas for home search or remodeling. This blog focuses on the three most outstanding features of three past HGTV dream homes to suggest ideas for your next home search or remodeling.
Here are three of our favorite features found in the 2014 Dream Home as well as the two Dream Homes that preceded it.
2014 HGTV Dream Home in Truckee, California
The main living area of the 2014 Dream Home captures the mood of the rustic cabins that first sprang up around Lake Tahoe decades ago. But this mountain home has three of the home’s most popular rooms connected in one A-frame structure just off the main foyer.
- The dining area is at the front and is surrounded by tall glass windows and topped off with exposed beams.
- A galley-style kitchen flows out from the dining area and highlights an enormous kitchen island large enough to seat five people with plenty of work space.
- Behind the kitchen is a living room that blends industrial design with warm, rustic touches matching the home’s natural settings. With large, steel frames, the floor-to-ceiling windows flood the room with natural light.
2013 HGTV Dream Home on Kiawah Island, south of Charleston, South Carolina
With its island setting and views of marshland, the Dream Home on Kiawah Island would not have been complete without these three features:
- A large deck with an illuminated “plunge pool” to cool off on hot summer days and a beautiful water feature to admire in the evenings, with the water casting a shimmering light effect on the living area.
- The playroom features plenty of space for table tennis and to lounge and watch TV, but the twin beds suspended by chains are unique stand-out feature of this room. Slightly swinging beds are sure to delight children.
- The multi-functional garage is under the house and features a slated wall system, for hanging bikes, kayaks and beach equipment. The garage also has a humidity-controlled closet for golf bags and fishing equipment or for any humidity sensitive storage. The garages shines with a cement floor sealed with a protective marine coating, giving a clean, high-gloss finish.
2012 HGTV Dream Home in Park City, Utah
Located in a spot popular with winter sports enthusiasts, the following three features of this Dream Home made it perfect.
- The home is entered through the mudroom which has plenty of lighting, hooks, storage space and an easy to clean tile floor. The mudroom is near the laundry room and a hallway connects to the family room. All combined this is the perfectly designed entry after a day on the slopes or outdoors.
- The master bathroom sparkles with accent walls covered floor to ceiling in iridescent glass mosaic tile in warm brown and neutral colors, contrasting with a crisp white soaking tub. The glass-enclosed shower has an outdoor shower feel and has a hand shower hose that retracts into the wall when not in use.
- The master bedroom has its own sitting room and relax balcony, with large pocket doors separating the bedroom area from the sitting room and front balcony.
To be sure, the setting of these three homes is critical to their design and appeal. The homes of Southern California and Beach Cities present different settings than these three homes. Yet, some design principles are the same. Consider dream home ideas for home search or remodeling and work the design and function of your home to flow with its setting and your life style. You’ll have some interesting conversations with your family, realtor and contractors and may even make some decisions not considered before, but, in the end, make perfect sense for your life style. Life is personal; Make your Home Personal.
If you’re looking for ideas to inspire your next home or remodeling project, click here to see photos, videos and tours of the current and past HGTV Dream Homes.